Saturday, October 06, 2007

I went to see a dying friend today. Having called first to ask permission to spend a few minutes with her, her daughter cautioned, "you know she's in a coma?" Yes, I knew. I took her yellow roses from my garden in a plastic glass - like the one that still sits in her cupboard from the last yellow roses. She doesn't know the roses are there - at least I don't think she does. But I know they are there. I don't know why this wonderful woman captured my heart when I met her 6 years ago. She just did. She has a wonderful family of her own - it's not like she needed me as a friend - but I needed her as a friend. She was bright and lucid until this last week, still at home, still among her family photos and memorabilia. She wanted that ending very much and her children were able to give that gift to her. I ache for them and the loss they are facing. I cry for me too. I will miss her - her name is Jean and wherever in God's heaven she ends up, she will have her 90th birthday in January, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment