Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Last week I read a post from a blogsite that I regularly visit http://northwoods.blogspot.com

The post referred to an article written by the blogger's friend – Susan Windley-Daoust. I felt need for reflection upon her article. My post today has to do with words taken from that article about prayer and anger. http://www.godspy.com/reviews/Anger-Management-Looking-Back-on-the-Amish-by-susan-Windley-Daoust.cfm: The quote I refer to is as follows:

"Prayer is not an activity we manage or control, but an encounter with the Holy Spirit to which we respond. It’s not an anger management program, but a constant openness to God's grace that can transform anger into compassion, and blow away the excess like dust. Prayer risks transformation, to become like the One whom we love: the merciful God of Jesus Christ."

At first glance, the idea that "prayer is not an activity we manage or control" is easily digested, but upon reflection....don't I engage in prayer when I feel like it, when it's convenient, when I’m frightened, lonely, angry, when I’m in church on my knees, when I’m viewing a sunset? Doesn't that mean that I decide when and where to pray?

Maybe the word engage is an incorrect reference to prayer activity, as engage carries with it the implication of at least a two party activity. So, if I imply that I engage with God in prayer, does that mean I understand He is with me? Right now!....when I decide?!

Do I engage with God or encounter the Holy Spirit or do I only mouth the words, log the time, and call it prayer? Do I have or make the time to really engage in prayer?

If prayer is not instigated by me but is "an encounter with the Holy Spirit to which we (I) respond," is our (my) prayer activity truly dictated, or better still, offered to us(me) by God's desire for prayer to begin?

If I pray often, or claim to myself that I do, is that because I AM in “constant openness to God’s grace that can transform anger into compassion, and blow away the excess like dust”? Or am I sort of in openness to God’s grace……

Learning or nurturing the desire for “constant openness to God’s grace” is, when I get right down to it, a pretty frightening or radical concept to carry around each day of my life – the radical part being I am pretty happy most of the time doing what I do within the limits of a “Christian life” – do I really want, through prayer and such a close walk with God, to be transformed, “to become like the One whom we(I) love (we(I) claim we love): the merciful God of Jesus Christ.”?

Authors/bloggers never know who will read their writings or where those writings may take another person. Thank you to Susan Windley-Daoust for her article on Prayer/Anger and the Amish Coummunity. The Holy Spirit and I both thank you...I think!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:55 PM

    Excellent post. I think you're right that prayer is sometimes something that's convenient to us. Almost another chore like the ironing.
    But I also think regular prayer times (although I'm a frequent defaulter!) put us into the way of God.
    Perhaps it's from slightly mechanical practice that the "constant openness" can grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tess - thank you so much for your comment. Being a visitor to your site, it means a great deal to me to receive a reply from you.

    I do agree that the "slightly mechanical practice" does favor the chance of a more open relationship with God. Even giving print to my thoughts this week has had an impact in my "prayerful, practiced" times and my daily activites.

    Thanks again -

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Thank you for posting this! I thought I'd see who was responding to this article (you're so right that writers have no idea where these things go after publication), and what a treat to read this reflection.

    Prayer is totally radical. It's the most radical thing we can do (or have done to us, depending on your perspective).

    Peace on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan - so glad my comments caught up to you and that you replied here. Your article continues to repeat its message to me. Thanks again - SS

    ReplyDelete