Sunday, June 29, 2008

My first choice - Mr. Nouwen


In keeping with my posts of the last couple of days...my first choice for short and inspirational words are those of Henri Nouwen and often from Bread for the Journey.

"The word is always a word for others. Words need to be heard. When we give words to what we are living, these words need to be received and responded to. A speaker needs a listener. A writer needs a reader.

When the flesh - the lived human experience - becomes word, community can develop. When we say, "Let me tell you what we saw. Come and listen to what we did. Sit down and let me tell you what happened to us. Wait until you hear whom we met," we call people together and make our lives into lives for others. The word brings us together and calls us into community. When the flesh becomes word, our bodies become part of a body of people."

Henri's words, for me, spotlight my actions in the light of where Christ is in my life....or where I would like for Christ to be in my life. If I am one of those who "try" - and what more can we do than try - to follow Christ's examples of living, then I must speak words with others in mind, I must commit actions with others in mind, I must live my life with Christ's life in the center of all I do. My words spoken over a lunch or dinner table, my words written in sympathy notes, congratulations and birthday cards are words of sharing with others what God has shared with me. It seems an easy formula doesn't it - just follow the "how-to" instructions.

Henri's words encourage that following. He's seems to always be one of my first and easiest choices for inspirational words. Words to pick me up again - to encourage my starting the "trying" again.

There were spoken, as well as written, words of inspiration in my life today, coming from the Lutheran pastor preaching the gospel this a.m. His sermon had to do with offering to others "the very best we have to offer" with no promise of anything in return. He seemed to believe that Jesus did and would have us do that also. Pastor Ley's words were spoken from his understanding of Christ's life and words and spoken as an example of what actions we may take in our daily lives that will reflect Christ's teaching to others. Truly words of inspiration.

Many of my favorite bloggers offer inspirational words from their favorite "life coaches" - some of those coaches Christian or Sufi or Buddhist. Anyone you encountered today with an inspirational quote - one worthy of taking into at least tomorrow and this week....who knows maybe even longer?

SS Collage - Road to Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment