Friday, July 04, 2008

More Artists Creating....


Yesterday browsing the Art section in our rather slim, local newspaper, I came across an Associated Press article referring to an artist who constructs huge styrofoam robots.

The works of the young associate professor, University of Oregon/Art department, have been displayed in galleries from the San Francisco Bay Area to Brussels, and back to the current exhibit at the San Jose Art Museum in California, entitled - "Robots: Evolution of a Cultural Icon."

From the article - Sadly, though, these unique creations are usually destroyed because no one has bought one yet or figured out how to get one through a gallery door even if they wanted to make a purchase. "They are smashed to smithereens," says the artist. But he's not in this for the money, he's a true artist to the core - more interested in making a statement than a buck.

Well, of course, I couldn't have read that last statement without my mind reverting to my post of yesterday, questioning once more - "why do artists create?"

The issues raised in art articles, allegedly portraying art, do not always convince readers that the subject of which they read is truly art.....however, each reader and each artist is certainly allowed their own opinion of what art is or is not. My question continues to percolate. As I am in the habit of visiting recommended artists' sites online, both locally and internationally, I am often in awe of the diverse talent and breadth of media employed by artists worldwide......but being somewhat of a pragmatist, I always wonder how much work they produce, do they sell, "gift" it away, store it, trash it - it can't ALL be sold, no matter how beautiful it might be.

I've rather exploited this subject now in two posts but if I haven't heard from you, let me know - do you think most/some/all/maybe not artists are all "interested in making a statement rather than a buck?" And, if you have a second, visit a contemporary art gallery in Nova Scotia, recommended by blogger, Smart Like Streetcar. Visit a site close to my home here in the Pacific Northwest, and lastly, of course, you may enjoy a visit to my favorite photography site.

Keep creating!!

AP Photo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug!

    I like artists because they see the world in ways that I don't. They see colors and patterns and beauty in the world that I might otherwise miss.

    But I also like to be challenged, to mull things over, and think about how the world works, and the psychology of perception. Anything to opens me up to new thoughts or insights has to be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SLS - thanks to you for your comments. I agree that artists do bring a whole dimension to the lives of others if and when those others feel open to learning from a subject they would normally feel no expectation of mind expansion.

    Enjoyed visiting your site very much. Your photos are clear and crisp - feeling the air across the lake with the calmness of the mergansers resting....

    The Peer artists are remarkably gifted in their exhibited works. I will visit them, at least online, again.

    Hope to see you again sometime.

    Best regards,

    ReplyDelete