Monday, September 29, 2008

Where's the music and why can't I find it?


Having just read an interesting post from friend Tess about a new APPLE tool that goes by the name of Genius - it supposedly mixes and matches existing music with new selections.....curiosity piqued, I'll be making a trip back to the APPLE announcement for further enlightenment of the Genius capabilities.

However, Genius may find me a difficult listener to satisfy as there is an issue that I find a bit frustrating in my world of music enjoyment - that is, I love hearing other folks' music selections, their interesting mixes as background music at dinner parties, their mediation music, music during yoga, music during stability ball classes....you get the picture. I enjoy hearing diverse selections of music but when it comes time to select music for my own listening pleasure, I haven't a clue what I've been ingesting through others' selections. I listen to so much NPR that I seldom have music on in the car or elsewhere. I even occasionally hear a piece on NPR about music that I think I would enjoy, but alas, at the time of selecting it.....the memory of the music has completely faded from my mind.

So, a challenge and a request - you must have 3 favorite artists, or 3 favorite albums, or 3 favorite tracks that you could give a poor starving listener like me. Even one of your favorites would be appreciated! So, send them along and I'll let you know what I and the Genius manage to mix. (BTW - CP, you needn't send your list, I know where to find all of the Hawaiian music ever published - downstairs in your study:)!)

7 comments:

  1. I've got it but I still don't know what it does. Is this what happens when you tun 65?
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!

    I have loads of favourite albums, so difficult to choose, but here are three I keep coming back to:

    An Other Cup - by Yusuf Islam
    Time (The Revelator)- by Gillian Welch
    Global A Go-Go - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

    And CP: no, it's not 65, it's all in the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:34 PM

    I just stumbled on your site and have been enjoying what you (and Riley-he's precious) write. The call for music is too tempting to resist. I've limited myself to ten songs in no particular order:

    1. New Soul: Yael Naim
    2. Moth: Lucinda Williams
    3. Malaise Days: Po' Girl
    4. By the Cathedral: Keren Ann
    5. The Foggy Dew: The Chieftains with Sinead O'Conner
    6.Under the Greenwood Tree: Trinity (from the album Dancing To Fool the Bully)
    7. 1234: Feist
    8. Momsong: The Be Good Tanyas 9. For the Windows in Paradise: Sufjan Stevens
    10. Prayer: Madeleine Peyroux

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...always a challenge that feels like it should be so easy and also feels quite revealing about my taste (or possibly lack there of)...but here's what's been rumbling in my head as recommendations:

    KT Tunstall--Suddenly I See + Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

    New Soul - Yael Naim (but I see that lizabeth already tapped that one)

    John Hiatt is one of my favorite artists. Songs to start with: "after all this time" "my sweet girl" "tiki bar"

    and i have been enjoying the music of Sia

    i'll keep thinking on this :-) you really do need a little more than 300 songs for genius to have much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tess - thank you so much for "playing"! Love your tunes and can't wait to get them in my mix.

    Lizabeth - so glad to see you here and to have your great suggestions!

    Lucy - I'm working on that 300 songs for Genius to sort and suggest for me. Thanks for your contribution to my tunes library!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:53 PM

    Hi,

    Where to start....

    1. Queen Latifah - Travelin Light
    2. Cinnamon Girl (album title) - Female artists doing Neil Young sounds..very nice
    3. Thievary Corp - international
    4. Duffy - artist: I think you would like Warwick Avenue
    5. Gnarles Barkley - Run: This is my power song for running and gets me down to a 6:30 minute mile!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ALL so much. I'm getting around to listening to the music and what a treat to hear new "already tested" tunes from my blog buds:)

    ReplyDelete