Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cease and Peace.....


From scripture reading this past week, two small phrases came into my being for reflection. The first thoughts were stirred by the last few words in Ephesians 6:9 - "with Him there is no partiality." The second reflection was prompted by words from Mark 35:39 when Jesus was speaking to the wind.

Cease to judge - Peace, be still

Can I, do I, live by these words? Can I compose myself for prayer, for active listening? Do I wish peace upon all those I encounter? Can I cease to judge? Do I wish to BE judged? If all I pass my judgment upon turn and judge me in return, can I stand or will I crumble? Will I weep in sorrow or anger, be surprised, or wish to explain how the judgment was unfair or maybe not quite right? Do I judge too much, too little, or too harshly? Why do I think I am qualified to pass any kind of judgment on others - those I know and even those I do not know? I fear I fall painfully short on these questions or proposals for my life. Perhaps you do too. Today I pray for myself and for others that I/we will feel the promise of these words and actions in our lives-

Cease to judge - Peace, be still


Photo - SS, neighborhood stroll

3 comments:

  1. cease and peace...nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These thoughts affirm some of my own of late. I have noticed that I make value statements about things of no importance. I've caught myself and as I realize what I am doing, I can remain silent. Cease and peace . . . good words for this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L and L - thanks for your comments. Oh, the cease and peace - I've been just thinking about it for a few days and it's amusing how much I begin to insert my opinion - even when I'm only talking to myself!! Know it all!

    ReplyDelete