Thursday, February 25, 2010

Create in me


Psalm 51:3-14 is a lament of one's sins to a fierce, anger-filled, guilt-spewing God.  My mind could not absorb the fear and trembling that the writer expressed in the lament.  Like a laser, Verse 10* became the focus of my worship yesterday in the a.m. and during the day. 

By avoiding the groveling to assuage anger from the wrath-filled, vengeful god, portrayed in the psalmist's eyes, do I deny responsibility as a child of God or do I recognize and acknowledge my sins?  I don't think I deny anything; my sins disappoint me, I know they must disappoint my creator.  Sins cannot be recalled, no do-overs - I've erred and I'll continue to fight against being a repeat offender - sometimes I'll meet that challenge - sometimes I'll not.  I'll pray for forgiveness but in the meantime I believe that VERSE 10 and its action in my life will propel me a long way toward living the life of a beloved and redeemed sinner, child of God; farther than crying to God over sins I cannot wipe away.
 
*Psalm 51:10 - Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:43 AM

    I love that verse, and use it often as a center to the start and end of my day.
    Though I may have problem with many of the psalms, When I think of them as songs recording the emotions and angst of the situations they are quite beautiful. Not being a native Episcopalian / Anglican, the focus on the psalms has been new to me. It takes a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi B,
    They are beautiful songs filled with life, pain, gripes and love. Some of them could be compared to the ballads of Leonard Cohen - like one you posted last week.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely reflection! well said... xo

    ReplyDelete