Monday, June 07, 2010

A horse, a cow, a CAMEL?

This morning on our way to church in a nearby town, we were somewhat surprised to see a camel munching away in a roadside barnyard, I might add, comfortably munching away as though he/she lives there now.  At first we just laughed but then on reflection later in the day I became very concerned......

I mean, where did this camel come from, who were his parents, who allowed him into Waitsburg, is he going to replace one of our local cows or horses or sheep in some way?  Will he take away some unsuspecting animal's livelihood?  Do the local yaks and alpacas (oh I remember when THEY arrived), tut! tut!) know he/she's here? Did this intruder steal into town in the night and now flaunt its presence as though it had always been here?  Will he be cheaper to maintain than some of our native animals, taste better, work harder, and just why did he come here anyway?  Is this the beginning of a camel invasion?

I don't know....you need to be careful these days.  One easy intruder and there goes the neighborhood!
Where do you think this animal's credentials are anyway?  Someone needs to investigate, don't you think?!  Have you seen any of these creatures in your neighborhood, it could be a conspiracy that should be investigated......oh, I hate to get involved in these upsetting immigration issues - I mean, I was just on my way to church, an innocent Christian bystander to this probable invasion of outsiders!

8 comments:

  1. We have a number of llama farms in the greater area but so far no farms of single-hump camel.

    Choices: Ask to see its credentials, report it, have the CIA do a background check (never know what might be lurking beneath that hump), call a reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen -

    We too have llamas, alpacas, and lots of goat herds, but this was a first with the camel.

    Fabulous suggestions - I knew my readers would have helpful input to my investigation of this illegal(?) camel immigration!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to tell you, I ordered him online to practice for my upcoming desert ride. They wouldn't let him into Seattle (tight immigration laws and all) so they were supposed to send him to walla walla. I guess waitsburg is close enough. Lucky you spotted him. Tell him I'll be by this weekend :). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years there's been a camel farm (ranch?) in west Texas, just north of Wichita Falls along US 287. They're a hot commodity in December, when they're hired out to churches as far away as Houston for use in Christmas pageants. The rest of the year, they keep the trees in the pasture "trimmed". Whenever you see a clump of trees with foliage that begins at a very high, uniform distance from the ground, look for the resident camels!

    If I remember my American history correctly, during the "taming of the West" (latter 19th century), camels were imported for use by the U.S. Army in the desert areas of the Southwest, but that experiment didn't work out as planned and they were eventually turned loose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, Maureen, Pollinatrix - Tx for your assorted comments:))

    MS in particular - loved learning about the "camel farms" in TX - had no idea but of course the Christmas rental business must have been brisk - well, I suppose not as healthy as the donkey business at that time of year:)

    I also definitely did NOT remember the American History pointer that you mentioned! My readers are an eclectic bunch and if one of you hasn't heard of something, another one will have. Thanks for chiming in:)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may be a conspiracy. I have seen a juvenile camel a couple of times near Bellville, TX. Yes, I was sober! I do NOT mix alcohol with motorcycle riding. Yes, there are llamas nearby, but A CAMEL?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey GDude -
    Long time, glad to hear from you:) A camel - he/she/it must be writing letters home saying "Mom, you wouldn't believe what a friendly town Waitsburg is, cars stop all of the time with people coming over to the fence to just say hello - at least I think that's what they're saying - I'm working on my NW dialect!"

    It's hilarious as we've been by that location of camel residence several times now this week and there's always a car stopped with folks gawking - it's such a surprise to spot a camel in a pasture regularly occupied by horses, cattle, and yes, even a llama now and then.

    xo

    ReplyDelete