Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Death - as great as life?

Sculpture title "Rebirth" by Omar Ga...Image via Wikipedia
Reading Tess' post last evening, I was prompted to write the following in my journal - 

Death as mysterious as life, except we seem to have gotten used to life gradually from the embryonic warmth of our mother's womb to infant, toddler, child, teen, young adult, adult, mature adult, older adult, senile adult stages; yes, we've gotten used to life, accustomed to it, and mostly we like it!

Death, whatever time we decide it begins, in the end comes abruptly through accident, self-inflicted demise, dreaded disease of some kind, or just plain old age.  I think it not unusual or morbid to consider death once life has been lived past mid-life (assuming a life span of 100 years = 50 being mid-life).  I've met several persons in the last 10 years who've exclaimed to me in their dying years that it came "so fast - too soon" - their life seemed to pass before their eyes in moments rather than years.

Perhaps when we "begin" our death, as it has been suggested by many - at the moment of birth - by whatever catches us first, although to the outside world, our family, friends - we are gone......perhaps that's the beginning of something more exciting than even life itself as we know it.  Nirvana, eternity,  resurrection - steps into the next stage of what our Creator has in store for us; as it seems this wonderful gift of life that we swim in for hopefully 50+ years and beyond shouldn't be totally wasted by just a sudden ending.  God must continue to have use for us in some way, even if only as plankton for whale sustenance, or sunlight for the nourishment of coral.

I don't suggest that I believe in reincarnation, although it seems a nifty way of recycling - being green and all, but I've no guess as to how God will use me after this existing life of mine is gone.  I pray that there is a use as I've tasted and savored so much magic in my life, it would seem a shame to just cast it aside.  With God as my lover, I believe that there will be more than not breathing at the end.  My creative logic has yet to come up with what those steps into life after death will be for me.  How about you?  Do you have any thoughts about that?  Where, what you will be?  Will there be nothing for you when your breath is exhaled the last time or is there an entrance into another part of existence that you can imagine and/or believe in?  I'd love to hear from you.........



Wikipedia Photo: Sculpture title Rebirth; by Omar Galan on display on Genova Street in the Zona Rosa in Mexico City
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. Maybe there will be ONLY breathing after the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is one view:

    "Cherish Myself

    "I know how it will be when I die, / my beauty will be so extraordinary that God will worship me. / He will not worship me from a distance, for our minds will have wed, / our souls will have flowed into each other. / How to say this: God and I / will forever cherish / Myself."
    ~ Rabia, from "Love Poems from God" by Daniel Ladinsky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pollinatrix -

    Maybe.........such a mystery, I think it can't be solved by us but it does expand our being to contemplate that which we cannot expalin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen -
    I think I may have to purchase Ladinsky's book. The quotes you've given me a couple of times are so beautiful; this one certainly is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:50 AM

    Slightly off-topic, but in one fictional portrayal of death on the small screen, a character whose mother died when she was young responds to the question "Was it sudden?". "No", she says then pauses... "and yes." I suspect this is how it is for so many of us. We know death must come, and the older it gets the nearer it gets, but still it takes us by surprise.

    ReplyDelete