Thursday, June 26, 2008

Netflicks Chick

Well, I totally poo-poohed the original takers of the Netflicks concept. How ridiculous, who has time, why would you do that - I don't really like movies anyway! Oh, I love reflecting on my non-judgmental view of the world and its inhabitants - my friends!:) And, that's me, never jump in unless it's with at least 2+ heavy feet.

Yes, of course, I'm here to "eat crow" - although I don't believe I've actually tasted crow but I hope I'll like it if I ever do because I have to eat it figuratively all the time!

I LOVE Netflicks!! Now granted, I'm only into 1, maybe 2 movies a week. (I hope you read my little movie remarks on the side column of my blog. I would love to have some feedback on the movies you like to see.) Anyway, the little red Netflicks envelope comes right on time, directly to my mailbox, no delay, no hassle - I then look forward to my movie time, usually just Riley and me. He's the only creature in the house that will sit down that long to be petted. He makes no comments about the reality or NON-reality of the movie nor does he stomp out of the room with a disparaging remark if something in particular is found to be disturbing to his sensibilities.

Considering I have not been inside a movie theater in probably 7 years, I'm astonished at my new-found veracity for film stories. It brings up memories of childhood - going to the movies on Saturday, Holloway suckers capable of pulling one's fillings and even teeth out if bitten into rather than sucked (thus the name suckers)....and this will gross you out - I even remember eating popcorn off the floor if regrettably a full bag was accidentally dropped....YUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!

So, this movie thing is so much fun. After seeing "Becoming Jane" and "The Jane Austen Book Club" I'm in to rereading all of those wonderful books of hers. Movie theme music is making it into my ITunes menu....well, would you look at that - is it possible that movies actually foster intellect and creativity - who'd have thunk it? And technology?.....well, look it me - and UTUBE!!!

So, movies or no movies, Netflicks or no, what do you like in movies - old or new - an all time, all time favorite? I'd love to know if you're an aficionado of old black and whites, silents, love stories, war stories, horror movies.

"Here's lookin' at you kid" - drop me a comment:)

4 comments:

  1. love the video. i may have to go back and watch "jane austen book club" again. my netflix choices lately have been a real bust. i do NOT recommend "margot at the wedding". "the savages" was really mediocre and i was hopeful for "stealing beauty" but it was also one i will return quickly.

    "fool's gold" is a new release that's kind of fun. "my cousin vinny" is a vintage one that the bermuda crowd agreed upon. bill really like "sicko". and i hate to admit, but i always love "dirty dancing." which leads me to dance movies. i love 'em! "shall we dance?" "take the lead" "step up" "strictly ballroom".

    netflix? right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed the video - having seen the JA Book Club and loving it, I am going back through the JA Books and then relating back to the cast in the movie. I just finished Mansfield Park - but did NOT read the last couple of chapters in order to "save" some for the movie. It was so much fun to see how the Fanny Price character was identified on the big screen as the uptight, beautiful, too intelligent, too analytical type. I think Emma is coming to me next in Netflicks.

    Thanks for steering me off of "The Savages and and the dancing movies...I could watch them all night! Have seen all of the ones you mentioned in your comment:) A few so trite and predictible that I can't even remember their names but still loved the dancing! Old women :) shouldn't do anything but ballroom dancing but just give me a little sip of the bubbly and I'm out there on that wedding celebration dance floor!

    Thanks for posting - FYI - there's a whole series of JA Book Club scenes on YouTube....

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I'm definitely going to see JA Book Club again after I reread some of these books. The only one I think I haven't read is "Persuasion" - I may see that one before reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:42 AM

    I like Netflix too. Have you tried Hulu. You can actually watch movie for free. They don't have new releases, but it is still a great service. Even Amazon is offering video on demand movie downloads.

    Also, love you movie list, especially The Secret Life of Bees. I thought is was a wonderful movie with an excellant cast. The book is really good too.

    ReplyDelete