Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Fourth Tuesday in Advent


I have not been disappointed by the book and by the experience that reading the book, God with Us, has given me during Advent. It is a compilation of writings from 6 different authors and has proved rich in its provisions for my Advent journey.

This a.m. the author, Kathleen Norris, had very interesting reflections based upon this poetry from Denise Levertov -

Annunciation

Aren't there annunciations
of one sort or another
in most lives?

Some unwillingly
undertake great destinies,
enact them in sullen pride,
uncomprehending.

More often those moments
when roads of light and storm
open from darkness in a man or woman,
are turned away from
in dread, in a wave of weakness, in despair
and with relief.
Ordinary lives continue.
God does not smite them.
But the gates close, the pathway vanishes.

A while after reading Ms. Norris' meditation for the day, my spouse and I chatted about the subject of Ms. Norris' reflection. We agreed that yes, God calls us all at one time or many times and if we do not answer the call God does not (generally) smite us. Sometimes the gates do close and the pathway may vanish. However, we agreed again, that the God we honor and worship although not smiting us, neither gives up on us. Our God is persistent in calling us many times - sometimes as long as "it takes" and perhaps from here to eternity.

We reflected times that we have been "called" and have accepted what seemed the obvious, gate and pathway. Who knows how many other times God has called us and we have neither heard, nor followed. How about you - are you aware of God's big calls to you and have you answered? And the little calls, how about those? Happy listening!


Photo - internet site - Religious Mall

4 comments:

  1. feeling a bit smiteful today, so i think i shant comment anymore than this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and it is enough:)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wrote a long comment and lost it. :(

    I've come back to this post three times now without responding, but it continues to grab me.

    I'm not aware of ignoring God's calls, but more likely not noticing them. Yet the small calls do come, with each new patient, some encounters with old ones. I wish I had more skills to answer with, more of me to engage more throughly in doing God's work; but the doors don't open often or for long. I do what I can, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wren - well I started a big long response to you and decided to send you an email instead:)

    ReplyDelete