Tuesday, March 22, 2011

IS IT SAFE TO COME OUT?

"IS IT SAFE TO COME OUT?"
Mixed Media Collage - 16" x 20"

Well, I've not much to say this evening except that some time ago when I put the above collage together with scraps of world maps and tiny childrens' faces peeping out from the surface there hadn't yet been a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami in Japan, nor a self-immolating merchant provoking protests and regime change in Egypt, nor missiles and planes falling from the night sky of Libya. 

Has it ever been safe for children to come out?  Will it ever be?  Can I make a difference in the answers to these questions?  I don't know - do you?

7 comments:

  1. I did a big long post when I first started blogging about freedom vs. safety. You can read it here, if you like: http://thepollinatrix.blogspot.com/2009/10/swan-song-for-moment.html

    Your collage is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collage. I continue to be so impressed by your artwork; it's both complex and revealing, and often deeply moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polli - I think your post re SWAN SONG is excellent!!! Thanks for sharing the link with me. With your permission may I share some of it here at MindSieve - giving you credit of course....let me know!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen,

    Thanks re the words about my artwork - such fun for me.....and while I think of it, thank you again for your introduction via "Writing without Paper" to Sean Scully - I love his work. Bought a couple of books with marvelous color repros of his work!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, of course! I'd be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that studio of yours must be hopping. the work you are producing is fabulous and i LOVE these little peeps!!! have you priced them yet? ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy,

    It is hopping - I have two easels set up now and have been a bit frustrated the last few days as a LOT of committee work has all come together at one time so not as much time for painting:) :(

    xo

    ReplyDelete